image fromDeadline: 1 July 2019The U.S. Embassy Yerevan Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the U.S. Department of State is inviting applicants for its Public Diplomacy [JB emphasis] Small Grants Program.PAS Yerevan invites proposals for programs that strengthen cultural ties between the United States and Armenia, including cultural and exchange programs that highlight shared values and promote bilateral cooperation. All programs must include an American cultural element, or connection with American expert(s), organization(s) or institution(s) in a specific field that will promote increased understanding of U.S. policy, culture, and perspectives.Priority Areas
- Reinforce U.S. – Armenian Shared Values, by funding proposals which: promote U.S. culture, including music, dance, arts, film, sports, and education, and support human rights, social inclusion, entrepreneurship, youth outreach, and women’s empowerment.
- Advance Regional and Global Security, by funding proposals which: promote reconciliation and lasting partnerships between the people of Armenia and Azerbaijan and/or Turkey, including plans for continued cooperation after the project ends.
- Develop Media Capacity and Expand English Language Opportunities, by funding proposals which: train journalists and advance the use of new media tools, as well as expand English language learning and training opportunities for journalists, students, and youth.
- Strengthen Democracy and Civil Society, by funding proposals which: encourage transparency and accountability in governance, foster civic engagement and reforms, and promote democracy, trade and investment, rule of law, civic education, and entrepreneurship. Most projects of this nature are funded under the Democracy Commission and Alumni Outreach small grants.
Funding InformationWhile the Public Affairs Section will consider proposals up to $50,000, projects that are smaller in scope are more likely to be awarded. Most grants selected are between $5,000 and $25,000. In rare circumstances, applications above $50,000 will be evaluated.Program Activities
- Activities that are typically funded include, but are not limited to:
- bringing an American expert speaker or performer to Armenia;
- conferences on American themes or issues of mutual interest;
- exhibitions of works by Americans or on American themes;
- youth empowerment, leadership, and education programs;
- cultural programs, and particularly those that target underserved communities;
- radio, television, and social media programming in support of the above four objectives;
- exchange programs that support reconciliation with neighboring countries.
- Activities that are not typically funded include, but are not limited to:
- ongoing salary costs;
- office equipment;
- paying to complete activities begun with other funds;
- projects that are inherently political in nature or that contain the appearance of partisanship/support to individual or single party electoral campaigns;
- citizen exchange programs with foreign countries;
- social welfare projects;
- political party activities;
- projects that support specific religious activities;
- scientific research;
- fundraising campaigns;
- commercial projects;
- trade activities; and
- projects aimed primarily at the institutional development of the organization.
- The U.S. Embassy Yerevan encourages applications from all sectors: committed and organized civil-society organizations, local representatives of civil society, think tanks, non-governmental organizations, and individuals. The majority of selected proposals will be from those registered and performing in Armenia; however, a limited number of proposals from U.S.-based organizations will be considered.
- The U.S. Embassy Yerevan encourages applicants to provide cost-sharing from additional sources in support of this project. The U.S. Embassy also encourages projects that use highly skilled volunteers as an element of cost-sharing. Applications should explain clearly other likely sources of funding and how the volunteers will be used.
How to ApplyApplications must be submitted online via given website.For more information, please visit https://am.usembassy.gov/education-culture/grants-program/small-grants-program/Original Article