Digital Diplomacy Officer
Embassy of Canada
- Government / Military
- Arts / Entertainment / Media
- Legislative / Policy
Help spread Canada’s message in the United States using your savvy digital skills. Become a digital diplomat at the Embassy of Canada in Washington D.C.!
Canada and the United States share one of the most important bilateral relationships in the world. The Digital Diplomacy Officer will develop and implement advocacy campaigns using web-based applications & social media to engage with a diverse audience including the general public, influencers and decision-makers.
Position title: Digital Diplomacy Officer
Section: Media Relations Section
Location: Embassy of Canada, Washington, D.C.
Position no: EXT-300471
Starting salary: $69,521 USD per year, plus benefits
Competition no: 30/16
Date posted: November 4, 2016
Closing date: November 18, 2016
Employment Tenure: There is one (1) term position available, having a specified period of employment of three (3) years, with the possibility of a term extension or a change in status to indeterminate based on operational needs. This competitive staffing process may be used to create an eligibility list of qualified candidates for this position and other similar positions, with various tenures, including indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting opportunities at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C. When you submit your application, you must specify all types of employment tenures for which you wish to be considered, e.g., indeterminate, term, assignment/transfer, and/or acting.
- Persons living in the Washington Metropolitan area.
- Employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
- Employees of any Canadian Mission in the United States. Relocation will not be paid in any circumstance.
- Spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.
All applicants must:
- Meet all of the Essential Requirements stated below.
- Be resident in the United States.
- Have independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
- Submit a resume and cover letter by the closing date. The cover letter must specify, using concrete examples, how you meet the Essential Requirements, i.e., Education, Experience, for this position. All communication relating to this process, including email correspondence may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
Summary of duties:
The Digital Diplomacy Officer will develop and implement advocacy campaigns using web-based applications and social media to engage with a diverse audience including the general public, influencers and decision-makers. Under the direction of the Deputy Spokesperson, the Digital Diplomacy Officer is responsible for the Government of Canada’s digital presence in the United States by overseeing the Connect2Canada (C2C) network and social media accounts, including the Embassy’s four official twitter accounts. The officer will collaborate with Headquarters, the Canadian Consulates in the United States, and colleagues within the Embassy on the use of the Connect2Canada (C2C) platform and social media with the aim to further advocacy objectives. The incumbent will take the lead on reporting Social Media successes and provide support to high level visits.
This position requires judgement, written communication skills and experience utilizing social media to advance organizational objectives.
English (The ability to work in French would be an asset.)
Condition of employment (must be met):
- Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check; and
- Independent work authorization in the United States and status in accordance with United States protocol directives for foreign missions.
Candidates must demonstrate clearly how they meet the Education and Experience requirements listed below:
A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in a related field; or an acceptable combination of experience, education, and training.
- Minimum of three (3) years of relevant experience working in the fields of digital/social media or communications within a government or corporate environment;
- Experience coordinating digital advocacy campaigns;
- Experience providing advice and coaching on social media use to others; and
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite and related software and technologies.
Candidates who meet the Education and Experience requirements will be assessed on the following qualifications. The assessment may be a written test, an interview, an in-basket exercise, a skills test, or any combination of these methods.
- Knowledge of best practices in digital advocacy;
- Knowledge of social media platforms in support of media relations and communications;
- Knowledge of political and economic issues and trends that affect policy-making in the United States; and
- Knowledge of key stakeholders and influencers in Washington, D.C.
- Communicate effectively in English, orally and in writing;
- Manage assigned social media requests from development and planning through to implementation and evaluation;
- Provide advice and coaching on the use of social media best practices;
- Work with service provider to manage the operation, procurement, maintenance, and upgrades of the Canada2Canada website;
- Juggle multiple tasks, with limited supervision, to deliver on deadline; and
- Able to absorb, digest, and distil technical subject matter from a number of sources into clear and concise content.
- Effective interpersonal relationship skills;
- Sound judgement;
- Tact and diplomacy;
- Highly collaborative working style; and
- The ability to work in French would be an asset.
- Knowledge of major Canadian and United States’ bilateral issues would be an asset.
The staffing process will consist of a review of all applications to ensure that applicants meet the essential requirements. Please note that failure to meet any of the Essential Requirements eliminates candidates from further consideration in the competition. Only those applicants who meet these will be contacted by the Human Resources Section for an interview or other form of assessment of the Rated Requirements.
The assessment may include an interview, a written test, and other tests that will consist of a series of questions designed to evaluate each applicant’s knowledge, abilities, and personal suitability for the position.
The Embassy offers a competitive salary, generous leave and a strong benefits package to include medical, dental, long term and short term disability, and a retirement savings plan to name a few.
The Embassy is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Method of application:
Applications should be sent by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. In completing their applications, candidates should confirm that they meet all the Essential Requirements and take care to relate their work experience to the position description and indicate the position number.
Hours of work:
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Locally Engaged Staff (LES) regulations of 37.5 hours per week.The successful candidate must be able to work overtime on short notice and to be available for events outside normal working hours, i.e., evenings and weekends.