Stefano Baldi is an Italian diplomat with a lifelong commitment to innovation and creativity applied to diplomatic activities. Now that he is the head of the Training structure of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, he is particularly engaged in emphasizing and experimenting with shaping the role of the XXI century diplomat. He will explain
Stefano Baldi is an Italian diplomat with a lifelong commitment to innovation and creativity applied to diplomatic activities. Now that he is the head of the Training structure of the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, he is particularly engaged in emphasizing and experimenting with shaping the role of the XXI century diplomat. He will explain how being a diplomat today is a mix of tradition and innovation. In the era of web 2.0, currently characterized by Social Media, diplomats are challenged by constantly evolving ways of communication. Stefano will argue why an adequate and continuous training will empower the diplomat of the XXI century, the Diplomat 2.0, to be still an essential and irreplaceable resource for the country he/she represents. He regularly blogs on http://istitutodiplomatico.wordpress.com.
- Personal Data
|Date of Birth:||8 April 1961|
|Place of Birth:||Citta’ della Pieve (PG)|
- Professional Experience
Training Director of the Minisitry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (2014 – present)
Speaker and Producer of Radio Programme “Diplomazia e Dintorni” in Radio LUISS (2013 – present)
Director of Diplomatic Institute of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (2011-2014)
Head of the Science and Technology Unit (2010 – 2011) at the Directorate for the Promotion of Country System (Economy,Science and Culture) of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
First Counsellor at the Permanent Mission of Italy to the European Union – Brussels (2006-2010). RELEX Counsellor (in the framework of Common Foreign and Security Policy). Member of the Board of the EU Institute for Strategic Studies.
First Counsellor at the Permanent Mission of Italy to the United Nations – New York (2002-2006). Responsible for Disarmament matters. Responsible for Italian personnel in the United Nations and for IT issues. Responsible for cultural events.
Counsellor in the Policy Planning Unit and Head of the Statistical Office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (1999-2002).
First Secretary for Economic Affairs at the Permanent Mission of Italy to the International Organizations in Geneva. In charge of relations with the Economic Commission for Europe of the United Nations and the World Meteorological Organization. Head of Information Technology issues (1995-1999).
First Secretary for Economic Affairs and Deputy Chief of Mission at the Embassy of Italy in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania (1991 – 1995).
Second Secretary at the Directorate for Economic Affairs, North Africa and Middle East desk at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Rome (1989 – 1991).
Scientific consultant to the Press Office at the 20th International Population Congress organized by the International Union for the Scientific Study of Population (Florence, June 1985).
Collaboration with Radio 24 – Il Sole 24 Ore for the Programme Lavoro e Carriere (former Programme Giovani Leoni) as an expert on international careers (September 2000 to 2005).
Actively involved in the “Centro Italiano di Formazione Europea” in Rome as a researcher on social and economic problems in Europe (1982 – present).
Regular contributor to the scholarly journals Affari Sociali Internazionali and Studi Emigrazione/Etudes Migrations (1992-2000).
Member of Italian Statistical Society (2000 to present).
- 3. Education
Degree in Economics and Business Administration from the University of Rome “La Sapienza” (1980-1985). Thesis: International Assistance to Asia, directed by Prof. Raimondo Cagiano de Azevedo.
- Guest Lecturer
Annual seminars on Population and Development, Population Structure, Population Aging, and Population Policies (School of Economics of the University of Rome “La Sapienza,”1989 to present).
Lecturer on “Cyberdiplomacy” at the Distance Learning Postgraduate Course on Diplomacy, Diplofoundation (Geneva/Malta, 1998 to present).
Coordinator of annual foreign policy seminar series at the School for Advanced Studies in Law and Economics of the European Communities (University of Rome “La Sapienza,” from 1999 to 2002).
Main Speaker at the presentation on “WiFi – Hotspots: Internet wireless connection for delegates at the United Nations – How it works and what to do with it”, United Nations, New York, 17 February 2005
Speaker at the Second International Conference on Intercultural Communication and Diplomacy on “Jargon, Protocols and Uniforms: Barriers to Interprofessional Communication” (Diplofoundation, Malta, 13 February 2004).
Speaker at the International Conference on Web Management and Diplomacy on “Website Management for Ministries and Missions” (Mediterranean Academy of Diplomatic Studies, Malta, 9 February 2001).
Lecturer on “Enhancing WEB Communication for International Organizations” at the Communication as a Reform Tool for the UN System Workshop (United Nations Staff College, Turin, 6 February 2001).
Speaker on “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Italy’s presence in International Organizations” at the International Conference on Public Administration and Globalization: International and Supranational administrations (International Institute of Administrative Sciences in Bologna, 20 June 2000).
Lecturer on “Information Technologies for Diplomatic Activities” at the UNITAR Fellowship Programme in International Affairs (United Nations Institute for Training and Research, Geneva, 6 October 1999).
Keynote speaker at the Caribbean Conference on on-line Training for diplomatic services of Carribbean Countries (Institute of International Relations of Trinidad and Tobago, 23-25 August 1999).
Lecturer on “New Communication Techniques for Diplomats: Internet Use,” at the UNITAR Fellowship Programme in International Affairs (United Nations Institute for Training and Research, Geneva, 9 October 1998).
Lecturer on “The Internet and the information gathering in diplomatic activities,” at the International Conference on Information Technology and Diplomacy (Mediterranean Academy of Diplomatic Studies, University of Malta, 30 May – 1 June 1997).
Lecturer on demography at the School of Economics of the University of Chieti (1986-87, 1987-88 and 1988-89 academic years).
- Post Graduate Courses and Seminars
Course on Multimedia and Public Administration (School of Public Administration and ISIMM, Rome, June 2002).
Conference on International Business and Economic Management: Trade, Investment and Financial Flows in a World of Fluctuating Exchange and Interest Rates (Wilton Park – Essex, UK, 12-16 November 1990).
Course on Relations between Europe and United States at the American European Summer School (Centre International de Formation Européenne and the Landesbildungszentrum of Schloss Hofen). Received “Certificate of Advanced American-European Studies” (Schloss Hofen – Breghenz, Austria, 6-26 July 1986).
Paper on “American and European Federalism” at the Conference on Societies in Transition, Italians and Italo-Americans in the ’80s (Philadelphia, 11-12 October 1985).
- Foreign Languages and Computer Skills
Fluent in English, French, and basic knowledge of Spanish.
Familiar with MS Windows, MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access), Internet programming (including HTML language), and Dreamweaver. Website and Blog design and administration. Internet and Social Media training for diplomats.
- Costruire una Rete di Reti. Il networking come elemento di sviluppo e promozione del Sistema Italia, Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Rome, 2011(available in digital format)
- Vademecum della PESD. Breve Guida della Politica di Sicurezza e Difesa with Gabriele Altana, 2009 (available in digital format)
- Through the Diplomatic Looking Glass. Books published by Italian Diplomats since 1946 – with Pasquale Baldocci – DiploFoundation and Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Geneva, 2007.
- Le Nazioni Unite viste da vicino. Aspetti e problemi dell’attivita’ dell’ONU e dell’azione dell’Italia (editor with Cinzia Buccianti), CEDAM, Padova, 2006.
- L’Italia al Palazzo di vetro. Aspetti dell’azione diplomatica e della presenza italiana all’ONU (editor with Giuseppe Nesi), Collana Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Giuridiche dell’Università di Trento, vol. nr. 50 – Università di Trento, 2005.
- La Popolazione italiana. Storia demografica dal dopoguerra ad oggi with Raimondo Cagiano de Azevedo. Bologna: Il Mulino, New revised edition 2005.
- La penna del diplomatico. I libri scritti dai diplomatici italiani dal dopoguerra ad oggi, with Pasquale Baldocci, Milan: FrancoAngeli, 2004.
- Information Society Library – Getting the best out of cyberspace – with Edward Gelbstein and Jovan Kurbaljia – Diplofoundation, Malta and Geneva, 2003-2004 (series of 8 booklets).
- Europa e politica internazionale: nuovi orizzonti della diplomazia italiana – editor – Quaderni di Studi Europei – Milan: Giuffre’ Editore, 2002.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in numbers. Statistical Yearbook 2001 editor with Edoardo la Sala. Rome: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Italy, 2001.
- Il Ministero degli Affari Esteri in cifre. Annuario statistico 2001 editor with Edoardo la Sala. Rome: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Italy, 2001.
- Il Ministero degli Affari Esteri in cifre. Annuario Statistico 2000 – editor with Edoardo La Sala. Rome: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Italy, 2000.
- Carriere internazionali – with Antonio Enrico Bartoli. Milan: Il Sole 24 Ore, 2000.
- La Popolazione italiana verso il 2000. Storia demografica dal dopoguerra ad oggi with Raimondo Cagiano de Azevedo. Bologna: Il Mulino, New edition 2005. (First Edition 1999, Second edition in 2000).
- Internet Guide for Diplomats, with Jovan Kurbalija. Malta: Mediterranean Academy of Diplomatic Studies, 2000 (Second edition in 2001).
- “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Italy’s presence in International Organizations” with Antonio Enrico Bartoli and Elio Menzione. Research Paper 4. Rome: Policy Planning Unit of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Italy, July 2000.
- “The Internet for International Political and Social Protest: the Case of Seattle.” Research Paper 3. Rome: Policy Planning Unit of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Italy, 2000.
- “L’uso di Internet per il Ministero degli Affari Esteri.” Rome: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Italy, 1998.
- “Italians in Tanzania.” Dar es Salaam, 1994
- “Italiani in Tanzania: ieri e oggi.” Rome: CSER, 1994.
- “Le barriere e le sfide della comunicazione interprofessionale” (in Italian) – with Edward Gelbstein – in Affari Sociali Internazionali no. 4, 2005, Franco Angeli Editore, Milano, 2005. (PDF)
- Nuove minacce alla sicurezza internazionale:Hacktivism e Ciberterrorismo (in Italian) – in “L’Italia al Palazzo di vetro. Aspetti dell’azione diplomatica e della presenza italiana all’ONU“, Collana Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Giuridiche dell’Università di Trento, vol. nr. 50 – Università di Trento, 2005
- Jargon, Protocols and Uniforms as barriers to effective communication with Ed Gelbstein – in “Intercultural Communication and Diplomacy“, Edited by Hannah Slavik 2004, DiploFoundation
- “Lavorare nelle Organizzazioni Internazionali“- with Thomas Botzios – in Jobadvisor, 2003.
- “I numeri della politica estera. Breve viaggio attraverso le statistiche del Ministero degli Affari Esteri.” Affari Sociali Internazionali 1, 2002.
- “La protesta in marcia: il caso del vertice delle Americhe” (in Italian – pseudonym) – Limes 3, 2001.
- “La protesta politica e sociale internazionale nell’era di Internet: Il caso di Seattle.” Affari Sociali Internazionali 2, 2000.
- “Quale diplomazia per il XXI secolo. L’impatto della rivoluzione informatica.” Affari Sociali Internazionali 3, 1999.
- “Le Nazioni Unite che non si conoscono: la Commissione Economica per l’Europa” La Comunita’ Internazionale 54,1999.
- “L’indice di sviluppo umano delle Nazioni Unite: Vantaggi e limiti della misurazione sintetica dello sviluppo.” Affari Sociali Internazionali 3, 1998.
- “La promozione culturale e l’attivita’ della Rappresentanza Permanente d’Italia presso le Organizzazioni Internazionali di Ginevra,” with Roberto Toscano. Notiziario Interfacolta’ Centro Studi Alpino dell’Universita’ della Tuscia. November – December 1998.
- “Opportunita’ di lavoro per gli statistici nelle organizzazioni internazionali.” Giornale del Sistan – Periodico del Sistema Statistico Nazionale 3.9. September – December 1998.
- “The Internet and Diplomacy of the Twenty First Century: How New Information Technologies Affect the Ordinary Work of Diplomats.” in Jovan Kurbalija (ed.), Modern Diplomacy. Malta: Mediterranean Academy for Diplomatic Studies, 1998.
- “Population Policies,” with Raimondo Cagiano de Azevedo. Demografia: Analisi e Sintesi vol. II, Materiali di studi e ricerche, Dipartimento di Scienze Demografiche – Universita’ degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza.” Rome, 1998.
- “Migration Policies,” with Raimondo Cagiano de Azevedo. Demografia: Analisi e Sintesi, Materiali di studi e ricerche, Dipartimento di Scienze Demografiche – Universita’ degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza.” Rome, 1996.
- “Ricerca sugli indicatori sintetici di efficienza della rete diplomatico-consolare del Ministero degli Affari Esteri.” Le Ambasciate di piccole dimensioni. Unpublished manuscript, 1996.
- “Main characteristics of the Italian Community in Canada” (in Italian). Le Societa’ in transizione: italiani ed italo-canadesi negli anni ottanta, ed. Raimondo Cagiano de Azevedo. Milan: Franco Angeli, 1991.
- “Demographic Development in the Mediterranean Area: Economic and Social Problems linked with the Situation in North African Countries.” Affari Sociali Internazionali 3 (1990).
- “Illegal immigration: Italian or supernational problem?” (in Italian). Affari Sociali Internazionali 3 (1989).
- “Some Aspects and Problems of the Italian Community in Canada” (in Italian) in Affari Sociali Internazionali 2 (1988).
- “European integration: which perspectives after thirty years?” (in Italian). Quaderni federalisti 66-67 (1987).
- “L’Europe et un Plan Marshall pour les pays en voie de développement.” Bulletin Européen 11 (November 1987).
- “Europe and the technological challenge: the Eureka project” (in Italian) in Affari Sociali Internazionali n.3/1987.
- “Migration influxes and Italian settlements in Argentina between 1900 and 1915” (in Italian). Affari Sociali Internazionali 2 (1987).
- “Population and development: the Asian example” (in Italian). Affari Sociali Internazionali 4 (1986).
- “The enlargement of the European community: progress or collapse?” (in Italian). Quaderni Federalisti 56-57 (1985).
- “Debate on demographic tendencies in Europe as well as perspectives of political actions” (in Italian). Rapporto di sintesi della Conferenza Demografica Europea, University of Rome, October 1982.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Via di Villa Madama, 250