Job Title:Social Media/Press Officer
Salary:£43,834 per annum
Location:Canada House, Trafalgar Square, London, UK
Closing date for applications:28-12-2018 At midnight UTC/GMT
Summary of position:Under the supervision of the Head of Communications and the general direction of the Counsellor, Public Diplomacy [JB emphasis] , the incumbent will lead the High Commission’s social media strategy, and will be responsible for providing a full range of proactive and reactive media relations and communications services aimed at promoting Canada’s international agenda in London and the UK. Main duties include: creating and maintaining the High Commission’s bilingual social media presence across multiple channels; training colleagues around best practices for social media use in a diplomatic/professional setting, responding to media inquiries and maintaining information on UK media covering Canada; supporting media during high level visits, preparing and disseminating communications materials; cultivating proactive media relations; and carrying out other related duties, as required.
Essential qualifications:Candidates will initially be screened on the essential qualifications below and must demonstrate in their cover letter how they meet these criteria. Only those candidates who meet all the Essential Requirements and demonstrate this clearly within their application will then proceed to the next stage of the process.
Education: A degree from a recognised university, with specialisation in journalism or communications, or a combination of university degree with work experience in the field of journalism or communications and/or public relations.
• Proven success in developing social media strategies and in handling social media across all channels in a professional environment.
• Experience in content creation using photography, infographics and video.
• Recent experience working in journalism or media relations in the UK media environment.
Linguistic Profile: Bilingual (English/French), including excellent and professional-level writing and speaking capabilities.
Candidates must also meet the Rated Requirements shown below, which will be assessed through any of the following: cover letter, written test, oral communication, interview and reference checks:
• Strong knowledge of the tools, techniques, and trends in the field of social media, and have recent, demonstrable experience of constructing and leading a successful social media strategy and be comfortable delivering detailed analytics for reporting purposes.
• Strong knowledge of the print and broadcast media community in the United Kingdom, and preferably in Canada.
• Superior organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Experience in public engagement and problem-solving.
• Exercise discretion and sound judgement in a range of high-pressure and sometimes sensitive situations.
• Teamwork, information-sharing and strong communication abilities, tact, flexibility, creativity and integrity.
Asset Qualifications:Preference may be given to candidates who have the following asset qualifications. Candidates must also clearly demonstrate how they meet these factors in their cover letter
• A firm grasp of the Government of Canada’s international mandates, objectives and priorities as well as extensive knowledge of Canada, including Canadian interests in the UK and Europe.
• A minimum of 2 years recent experience working in journalism or media relations in the UK media environment.
• Experience working in a professional media relations role.
Operational Requirements:• Willing and able to work extended hours as required, late evenings and sometimes with little advance notice
• Ability to travel when required
Condition(s) of Employment:Hours of work will be 37.5 per week, worked Monday to Friday at time to be arranged by the supervisor. Any job offer is subject to receipt of satisfactory employment and character references and the ability to obtain and maintain an Enhanced Reliability security screening (including a criminal record check).
Copies of educational qualifications will be required at the interview stage of the process. Successful candidate must have a valid passport and the required documentation allowing the right to work in the UK. Documentation will be required.
Area of selection:United Kingdom
Important Notes:This position is open to candidates currently resident in the UK, who hold current documentation allowing them to work in the UK without restriction, who meet all of the essential requirements stated and whose applications are received by the closing date. Those candidates holding documentation/visas not renewable in the UK such as the Youth Mobility Visa will not be eligible to apply for this position.
The High Commission of Canada does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interview nor does it reimburse any relocation costs. The High Commission of Canada does not sponsor work permit applications on behalf of candidates.
The High Commission of Canada is committed to building a diverse workforce.
The High Commission of Canada is committed to conducting inclusive, barrier-free selection processes.
Social Media/Press Officer Canadian Embassy – London