By Robin Givhan Michelle Obama stands with Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono during a state dinner at the State Palace Complex Istana Merdeka in Jakarta. (Getty) During her trip to India, first lady Michelle Obama allowed her fashion choices to speak to the ways in which we are all part of the global community. In
The Turkish prime minister, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, said Facebook and YouTube could be banned following local elections in March after leaked tapes of an alleged phone call between him and his son went viral, prompting calls for his resignation. Erdoğan claims social media sites have been abused by his political enemies, in particular his former
Most-Read Blogs of 2018
Dec 18, 2018
What did 2018 look like for analysis and commentary about public diplomacy? Here are the CPD Blog posts that topped our audience's reading list this year:
10) Countering Disinformation: The Public Diplomacy Problem of our Time by James Pamment. How can communications professionals counteract manipulation and deception? Pamment offers two guides on counter-influence.
9) Media Framing of a Diplomatic Insult by Muhammad Ittefaq. An example of how the impact of an incident at an airport can spill over into diplomatic relations.
8) Public Diplomacy for Losers by Nicholas J. Cull. Why honesty and working with defeat is so important to public diplomacy.
7) Learning from South Korean Diplomatic Experimentation by Jan Melissen and HwaJung Kim. South Korea's unique approach to public diplomacy innovation offers valuable insight for other nations.
6) British Council on Evaluating Arts & Soft Power Programming by Ian Thomas. The Head of..
image fromDeadline: 1 July 2019The U.S. Embassy Yerevan Public Affairs Section (PAS) of the U.S. Department of State is inviting applicants for its Public Diplomacy [JB emphasis] Small Grants Program.PAS Yerevan invites proposals for programs that strengthen cultural ties between the United States and Armenia, including cultural and exchange programs that highlight shared values and promote bilateral cooperation. All programs must include an American cultural element, or connection with American expert(s), organization(s) or institution(s) in a specific field that will promote increased understanding of U.S. policy, culture, and perspectives.Priority AreasReinforce U.S. – Armenian Shared Values, by funding proposals which: promote U.S. culture, including music, dance, arts, film, sports, and education, and support human rights, social inclusion, entrepreneurship, youth outreach, and women’s empowerment.Advance Regional and Global Security, by funding proposals whi..
EMBASSY OF MALAYSIA, MANAMA
The Ambassador of Malaysia to the Kingdom of Bahrain, His Excellency Agus Salim bin Yusof, and his wife, Norsyazwani Hamdan, paid a visit to Bahrain’s main hospital, Salmaniya Hospital on 21 May 2019. The purpose of the visit was to distribute gifts from the Embassy and PERWAKILAN Manama to more than 40 children in the paediatric ward of the Hospital, on the occasion of gergaoun (children’s traditional festival celebrated in mid-Ramadhan). The Embassy hopes that the gifts brought joy and happiness to the children who could not celebrate gergaoun with their families and friends. This first-ever initiative undertaken by the Embassy was one of the activities lined up to commemorate the 45th anniversary of diplomatic relations between Malaysia and the Kingdom of Bahrain this year.